To design remedial and new works for highway structures. To deliver the routine maintenance programme for the Bridges team
Accountable to the Senior Bridges Engineer and to the Bridges Manager, as may be required.
With the minimum of supervision, delivery of both personal and sub-team programme for the design, procurement and construction of highway structures in various materials within Transport Scotland’s South West Unit. Budgetary control and accountability of individual schemes on behalf of Scotland Transerv.
- Delivery of structural assessments and designs of highway structures in accordance with Eurocodes/Design Manual for Roads and Bridges (DMRB)
- Deliver tender/contract documents including conditions of contract, specification, method of measurement and drawings in accordance, with the Manual of Contract Documents for Highway Works (MCDHW)
- Inspection of highway structures
- Manage schemes – works and budgets
- Residential or non-residential (as may be required) site supervision of works to suit the construction programme.
- Management of small sub-team of engineers
Personal Qualities and Experience:
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- CEng or IEng and actively working towards Chartered status.
- Minimum of MEng or equivalent in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Minimum of 7 years post graduation experience of which at least 3 years experience should be in bridge and/or highway structures related fields. For those approaching chartered status, a longer period of relevant experience may be required
- Working knowledge of DMRB, MCHW and Structural Eurocodes; all as may be amended by Transport Scotland
- Experienced in bridge design, assessment and inspection.
- Working knowledge of CDM
- Understanding of conditions of contracts
- Ability to work proactively and with the minimum of supervision
- Current clean driving licence
- Good communication skills
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office