Senior Bridge Engineer
To assist the Bridges Manager and structures inspection team to carry out Principal and General Inspections.
- Carry out Principal and General Inspections for trunk road bridges (comprising steel, concrete and masonry), culverts, retaining walls, overhead gantries and high mast lights. This may include nightshift and weekend working.
- Ensure current inspection standards are known and adhered to.
- Use and update the Structures Management System (SMS).
- Produce inspection reports from the Polmadie Office, identifying any areas of concern immediately to the Bridge Manager.
- Assist with the organisation of the traffic management, testing, plant and workforce to complete all aspects of the inspections.
- Undertake project specific risk assessments and safety checks.
- Assist with first response to any incidents involving structures.
- Other duties as required.
Personal Qualities and Experience
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Full driving licence.
- Experience in the inspection of structures (bridges, retaining walls, culverts etc)
- Ability to work at height and in confined spaces.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- ONC/HNC (or working towards) in Civil Engineering, or other appropriate qualifications.
- Technician or Incorporated member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Knowledge of the Highways Agency Design Manual for Roads and Bridges.
- Experience of Construction Site Safety, SMSTS (risk assessments, task briefing sheets etc).
- IPAF/MEWP Training
- BICS – qualified or working towards