To assist the Bridges Manager and structures inspection team to carry out Principal and General Inspections.
- Carry out Principal and General Inspections for trunk road bridges (comprising steel, concrete and masonry), retaining walls and high mast lights. This may include nightshift and weekend working.
- Ensure current inspection standards are known and adhered to.
- Use and update the Structures Management System (SMS).
- Produce inspection reports from the Polmadie Office, identifying any areas of concern immediately to the Bridge Manager.
- Assist with the organisation of the traffic management, testing, plant and workforce to complete all aspects of the inspections.
- Undertake project specific risk assessments and safety checks.
- Assist with first response to any incidents involving structures.
- Other duties as required.
Personal Qualities and Experience
The following qualities/experience are essential:
- Full driving licence.
- Experience in the inspection of structures (bridges, retaining walls, culverts etc)
- Ability to work at height and in confined spaces.
- Good written, verbal and interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy.
The following qualities/experience are desirable:
- ONC/HNC (or working towards) in Civil Engineering, or other appropriate qualifications.
- Technician or Incorporated member of the Institution of Civil Engineers.
- Knowledge of the Highways Agency Design Manual for Roads and Bridges.
- Experience of Construction Site Safety, SMSTS (risk assessments, task briefing sheets etc).
- IPAF/MEWP Training
- BICS – qualified or working towards