Transport Scotland was established in January 2006. It was set up to support the Scottish Government’s vision for sustainable transport across the country and to make a real difference for people and business using the national rail and road systems.
Transport Scotland’s aims
- Ensuring that Scotland’s trunk road and railway systems are managed efficiently, effectively and economically.
- Establishing and running the national concessionary travel schemes.
- Delivering the Scottish Government’s committed programme of enhancements to Scotland’s rail and trunk road infrastructure.
- Helping to build Scotland’s National Transport Strategy by setting investment priorities for tomorrow’s rail and trunk road networks.
- Strive towards excellence by building our corporate values into everything we deliver, and into how we work as an organisation.
Transport Scotland’s objectives
- Striving to become a centre of excellence in transport delivery, both nationally and internationally.
- Promotion of transport integration.
- Maintaining a clear outward focus on the needs of transport users.
- Working in partnership with other transport providers and wider government in our planning and delivery.
- Making the most efficient use of public resources, and equipping staff to do the best possible job.
Traffic Scotland enables the collection and distribution of real-time traffic information relating to incidents and events currently taking place on the Scottish trunk road network.
Road users on Scotland’s trunk roads are provided with information about road conditions with the aim of ensuring that best use is made of the existing Scottish trunk road network and to improve the safety and the efficiency of the network.
For up to date information on current incidents including:
- Traffic news
- Planned events
- Park and ride
- Variable Message Signs
For real time traffic information follow @trafficscotland on Twitter.